Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rewind: Marcus's "Baby" Quilt...

(January 2010)

Remember this post? Well, only now have I finished Marcus's "baby" quilt. And I say "baby," because my big boy is not a baby anymore. I wanted to do something a little different and I wanted to use a few different fabrics, so I decided to do an argyle style quilt. It really shouldn't have taken me so long to finish it, but for some reason it did. I think one reason it took so long is because I kept running in to problems and instead of just persevering, I'd put it away for awhile. One of my problems was that I sewed all of my diamonds together and realized I should have put some type of interfacing on the back. In order to do my yellow and white embroidery stitch I needed something to stabilize my fabric... hence the packaging tape. I'd run a strip of packaging tape where I was going to sew. Then I'd crease it down the middle which held a line that I'd use as my guide. Then I'd rip it away when I was done. This worked quite nicely, except I'd definitely recommend Scotch brand packaging tape. I had some other type I used in the beginning and it left a lot of gooey residue all over my quilt. And to explain the peach jar, I learned this trick from my grandma. The embroidery stitching used a lot of thread so I bought a big spool of thread (like the ones you use on a surger), but the spool is to big to sit on the top of my machine. If you just sit it inside the jar and then thread your machine as usual, your problem is solved. I'd never heard of anyone else doing this, but I recently saw this on Martha Stewart.com. Funny.



No comments: